So you want to make a cocktail. Well, having the best ingredients can make a big difference. Old Forester is hoping to make it easier with a new collection of cocktail provisions, containing three bitters, two syrups and one tincture.
The selection—each one contains 2 oz.—comes from Master Taster and bourbon specialist Jackie Zykan and Bourbon Barrel Foods.
The line includes:
Bitters (Old Forester Bourbon base)
• Bohemian Bitters: Cherry Tobacco
• Smoked Cinnamon Bitters: Baking Spice & Smoke
• Hummingbird Bitters: Citrus & Floral
Syrups (sugar base)
• Perfect Old Fashioned Syrup: Rich demerara syrup with proprietary blend of three Old Forester bitters
• Oleo-Saccharum Syrup: A rustic cocktail ingredient created using a cold process to extract oil from citrus peels by immersing them in sugar; adds bright citrus flavor profile
Tincture (water base)
• Salt and Pepper Tincture: Bourbon Barrel Foods Bourbon Smoked Sea Salt and Bourbon Smoked Pepper; adds slight spice and dimension and tames bitter notes without texture of salt and pepper
To ease into it, here’s a quick and easy recipe for a Perfect Old Fashioned:
- Ingredients: 2 oz. Old Forester 100 Proof, 0.5 oz. Perfect Old Fashioned Syrup
- Directions: Combine ingredients in mixing glass, stir with ice, strain over large ice cube in double old fashioned glass and garnish with lemon and orange peel.